MNS Marine is bringing the ocean to KL for a World Oceans Day weekend this August! Held on the 11 & 12 August 2018, at the Boulevard, Publika Shopping Gallery, KL, there will be workshops, exhibits, games, selfies to take and stuff to buy (see below for list).
Co-organising the event are Lions Club/Leos Club, making it bigger than ever!
* Raise awareness about the issues affecting the ocean’s health and the importance of coral reefs, seagrass and sharks. Get everyone to appreciate the beauty of the ocean and how we are linked to it.
* Encourage one and all to get involved in the prevention of marine litter by educating them and providing alternative solutions. A special focus is plastic pollution.
MNS Marine will also be walking the talk by banning the use of plastic bags and minimising plastic packaging for food & drinks and objects for sale.
The event is also listed on the global World Oceans Day website, is hooked up to Marine Parks’ International Year of the Reef 2018 campaign and supports the Selangor State Government’s #BebasPlastik and Cintai Pantai Selangor beach cleanup initiatives.
If you are interested in participating in WOD 2018 – whether to book a booth, hold a workshop or sell marine-friendly products – contact Whei Li at email@example.com. To volunteer, please register here (we will feed you and give you a limited edition tshirt!)
LIST OF WORLD OCEANS DAY 2018 WORKSHOPS:
Terms & Conditions:
1. Please pre-register.
2. For pre-registration only, you get a FREE gift! Collect your free gift at the workshop/talk.
3. Please arrive at least 5 minutes before the start time to register and get your free gift.
4. Workshops/talks that require a minimum number of participants might be cancelled if that minimum is not met. You will be informed.
5. We reserve the right to change the start and finish times of the workshop/talk. You will be informed.
SHARK CLAY CRAFT
Bring home your own shark clay sculpture while learning the anatomy of sharks and get a FREE glitter shark tattoo.
For ages: 6 – 12. Minimum no of participants: 12
Workshop fee: RM5
From behaviour and anatomy to roles and threats, work through common fears and come to understand and love this lord of the sea.
For ages: 13 +. Minimum no of participants: 10
HOW TO MAKE BEESWAX WRAPS
Learn how to make beeswax wraps, fabric-based reusable alternatives to single-use plastics that are safe enough to wrap food.
Workshop fee: RM30
Join Yap Jin Yie in making three scrubs (sugar, Himalayan and oat scrubs) from natural ingredients that are good for your skin and good for the environment.
Workshop fee: RM 30 || Minimum no of participants: 17
TURTLES: OUR VANISHING HERITAGE
Are turtles important in our ecosystem? Find out from the cheerful Dr. Chen Pelf Nyok, a freshwater turtle researcher and conservationist. Dr Chen is one of the founders of the Turtle Conservation Society of Malaysia, dedicated to freshwater turtle conservation in Malaysia. Bring a question and a friend!
Come listen to Eric Goh, whose underwater images have graced numerous international magazines and major tourism campaigns. It also features prominently on graphic walls in city walkways and national billboards.
Minimum number of participants: 6 || Age limit: 15
SPLENDOUR OF SEAGRASS
Seagrass meadows are beautiful and important yet almost unknown. Who better to learn about them from, than the passionate Jillian Ooi who knows them intimately – including the mermaids that live in them (I kid you not)!